Friday 30 March 2007

revising theology

Marc and I are both – but separately – filling in a doctrinal evaluation questionnaire for SIM (Serving In Mission – the mission we are hoping to serve with). It is deep! And detailed. You could write a doctoral thesis on each of the questions, but – fortunately – we are limited to 300 words. It’s also probably a good thing that we get a 4-week time limit for finishing answering all 49 questions! To be honest, though it is demanding in terms of time and brain-power, I’m enjoying it. It’s a useful exercise to have to go back over what I actually believe and ask myself why I believe it and remember where in the Bible it says it. It’s encouraging too, because I know I’m not too strong on remembering exact Bible references, but I’ve been discovering that I can say for example “oh, that’s near the end of Matthew” and so find things quickly. However, I’m aware that knowing stuff about God’s Word isn’t much use if I don’t put what I know into practice in my life, and you can’t judge that by filling a questionnaire!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Hilary, its me, Eunice

I enjoyed looking at all of the pictures on your blog. It was also good to read up on what is going on in your life. Wow, for me it's hard to believe that you are a wife and a mom. However, I am excited and happy for you. Simon is an adorable baby.
I always prayed for you, and will continue to do so as you and your family pursue the Lords Will. I hope we can reconnect. Love, Eunice

Jo said...

I think those questionnaires are designed to worked out if your personal philosophy fits with the college's remit. I'm really bad at remembering where things are. I am a bad girl and haven't read my bible regularly since I was not a mummy... My lovely dh has read it far more recently (received a word that his life would not move on until he finished it - when he did, he got made redundant, we had dd2 and got moved over here!) so I tend to go to him if I need a reference. Or put what I think is the quote into Bible Gateway!