Tuesday 13 March 2007

pushchair ponderings

I used to see mums with buggies as a kind of entity, as if the buggy formed an extension to the mum, and the mum couldn’t exist without it. Funny, now that it’s me I see it as me plus something completely new, almost a foreign object! There are some advantages to it though, as there are for having Simon in the trolley seat at the supermarket. You can have near-misses that are completely your fault, and people apologise to you or give you fond smiles! And at the Post Office the other day I had the door held open for me by a woman who must have been about eighty and looked as if the slightest gust of wind would blow her away. Rather humbling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what ou mean about the fond smiles from total strangers. Going round Asda with a little baby is a weird experience. Normally people studiously avoid eye contact but put a small cute preferably sleeping tot in your trolley and all of a sudden everyone wants to know your life story! It seems to have waned slightly since he got curly hair and a very stroppy outlook on supermarket shopping! Glad yor buggy treats you well - mine is built like a tank and gets in EVERYONE'S way.

Jon Short said...

I was just thinking about those crazy stairs in that lead up to your apartment. It was hard enough for me to manage them without feeling dizzy never mind holding a baby and all its stuff. You are very brave. I am thinking the buggy must live downstairs?!

Hope you are well. Simon is a real cutie xxxx