Thursday 3 May 2007

French nationality, anyone?

My attempts to take French nationality came to a (temporary) standstill yesterday. Simon and I went down to the “Préfecture”, undaunted by tram problems and heavy swinging doors, to present my dossier, with all the documents necessary. I thought I’d better ask how long it might take though, and was told “about two years”. “Oh … so since we’re leaving France in the summer, there isn’t much point leaving my dossier, is there?” “No.”

All is not lost. That was if I was asking for nationality by residency. After four years of marriage (so August 2008) I can go to any French Consulate in any country and apply for nationality through marriage to a French citizen. And I’ve been told it’s easier. Plus I’ll already have the documents ready.

Speaking of which, here is a selection of the documents necessary to apply for French nationality (by residency):

Own birth certificate, translated by an officially recognised translator.
Both parents’ birth certificates, translated by an officially recognised translator.
Own marriage certificate, and if married outside France, translated by an officially recognised translator.
Parents’ marriage certificate, translated by an officially recognised translator.
(And of course it isn’t cheap to get things officially translated!)
Own “titre de séjour”, a kind of work permit. EU citizens don’t actually need one of these to live and work in France … but they do need one to be able to apply for French nationality!
If working, last three months pay slips, plus the pay slips for the last three months of December.
The last three years’ tax certificates (saying how much you have to pay) and another certificate saying that you actually did pay it.
An “extrait de casier judiciaire” – doesn’t exist in the UK but the police will give you a certificate (for a tenner) saying you have no criminal record.
And let’s not forget all the documents relating to husband’s identity and even baby’s identity and place of residence!

And of course two copies of the official application form, including the names and addresses of your parents and all your siblings, and all the addresses you’ve ever lived at! All the jobs you’ve ever had too.

What is weird is that they don’t actually ask you to say anything about your studies, though you can add other “evidence” to strengthen your case.

Oh well, I guess I can wait another few years to become French. If we aren’t living here I can’t vote anyway, and so my two main reasons for wanting French nationality are 1) so that our whole family has a common nationality – could help with repatriation if we were ever in a country where there were problems – and 2) while living in France I was happy with my English identity, but now that we’re leaving I feel I should have something to show for my 8 or 9 years here. After all, my time in France has been part of me becoming who I am now. Marc thinks though that maybe a French husband and son count for something!!

No comments: