Thursday 10 December 2009

seasonal confusion

When I was a child, my aunt and uncle were living in South Africa, and one year they kindly gave us a calendar which said on it “It's sunny today in South Africa”. This wasn't a message we necessarily wanted to hear on a gloomy November day in England. Now that they are living in England, I'm tempted to make a calendar for them which says “It's sunny today in West Africa”!

But jokes aside, I have realised that it is very odd for me, as an English girl, to be living somewhere where the weather is so stable. At the moment we never have to wonder how the weather will be the next day, as we know it will be sunny but fresh in the morning, temperatures around 32°C by the afternoon, and cooler again in the evening and overnight. It's reassuring … particularly since this kind of weather suits me very well. It may be less comfortable in dry season when the predictability means we know that temperatures are going to be up near 40°C every day!

I have at last been able to feel a little bit as if Christmas is coming. Yesterday I went to the rehearsal of the missionary kids' Christmas Presentation, and hearing them singing carols helped me believe it might really be December after all. We are planning to buy a Christmas tree this week and get it up and decorated this weekend. Fake, of course!

No comments: