Friday 1 May 2009

headaches (the decision-making kind!)

It's no big scoop to say that being a parent is a big responsibility. Even if you are bringing a child up in your own culture, society changes and you will have to make decisions about things which your own parents never knew about (such as mobile phones and internet access). But we're beginning to realise some of the stress of bringing children up in a completely unfamiliar place ... and we aren't even there yet!

We've had to make decisions about which anti-malarial preventive treatments to take ourselves and to give to the boys. The difficult part is that each kind has good points and bad points, due to their effectiveness, their cost, their side effects and who they are suitable for.

Obviously it is just as important to try to avoid being bitten by mosquitos as much as possible, and we have also been stocking up on insect repellent, treated mosquito nets and so on.

At the end of the day, we have to do all we can, to the best of our knowledge, and then trust God. There is no point living in fear, and at least if any of us do get malaria we know that blood tests and very effective treatments are available. Please do pray for protection!

1 comment:

Ju said...

This just made me think of my friends in Tanzania, when I was there with them last year I found myself employed in helping (then 2year old) Timo swallow his tablet. I think the ones he was taking were quite bitter to taste, he didn't miss a trick so much so that I distracted Timo whilst Tessa pushed the tablet in either a piece of banana or a piece of mango. He was just at the stage of being able to swallow lumps of both. I think he was taking one kind of tablet weekly and the other kind daily, though I can't be sure I'm right on that! Thought the advice might help nonetheless! xx