Thursday 6 March 2008

communicative competence?

“Ghee! Ghee!” Simon shouted enthusiastically as I reached for the packet of Cheddar at tea this evening.

I keep thinking that I should keep a record of the things Simon is learning to say. There are some that he’s been saying for a while, namely “Mum”, “Papa”, “boo”, “tick tock”, “no”, “hello” … though not all with their conventional meanings! Then there are others that have been coming into circulation recently…

As I have already mentioned, he started repeating “no!” after us, but he now has a French-sounding “no” (or “non”) and an English-sounding one which is accompanied by his finger on his nose, and actually means “nose”!

I’ve also realised how often I encourage him by saying, “Yeh?”, as it has become one of his favourite words … and I like it better than “no!”.

He will now point to something he wants and say “dat!”. If he just wants to show something, for a while he was saying something that sounded like “look”, but it now seems to have been replaced by “dere”.

He’s been saying “nana” for “banana” for a while, but when I tried to teach him apple he liked the word so much that he wanders round saying constantly, “aaaa-bull …. aaaa-bull … aaaa-bull”. With a lot of encouragement we managed to get him to try out one of my sisters’ names – “aaaa-li”.

And he’s started to sign “thank-you”, which I’m happy about even if I’m quite sure he doesn’t know what it really means! (We haven’t done much baby-signing, but I thought “thank-you” would be a good one to know!)

He is also good at other non-verbal communication. At lunchtime he was melting hearts by smiling and blowing kisses at Seda, Loes and Suzanne.

No comments: