Monday 17 September 2007

down on the farm...

... it be onion harvestin' time! Or rather it been, come and gone. But for a couple of days the male members of the household were fascinated by the to-ing and fro-ing of all the different farm vehicles going through all the various stages of harvesting the big field behind Mum and Dad's house. Tractors pulling great loads of red onions went up and down the lane in front of the house, and we decided not to hang any washing out for the duration!
Mum says I was shocked when she said she was going to glean after they'd finished. I just wasn't aware that we were living in ancient Israel ... but then even if we had been, and they'd deliberately left extra for widows, orphans and the poor, I'm not quite sure which category Mum could pretend she fitted into ;o) Anyway, we did manage to pick a few onions off the track, and a few that were left at the side of the field. There's a limit to how many red onions you can realistically use before they go off!
Ah, country life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember doing exactly that but with potatoes when I was young!! But alas I no longer live close to any open fields.