Monday 15 February 2010

greetings

Yesterday after church a “delegation” was sent to greet us. Mainly the mums of the church, with assorted children, probably 30 or 40 altogether. They didn't stay long, just gathered in our porch, the pastor's wife said a few words of greeting, and then a couple of them prayed for us. It was a very welcoming gesture, and they seemed to appreciate me thanking them in Monkolé.

This morning we went out early into the village with the pastor to do some official visits. We were introduced to the local kings, mayor, imams and other important figures in village life. Lots of smiles and greetings. The greetings are quite ritualized, which makes them easier to learn! Pastor Samuel also explained who we were, and that we are going to take over from Grace, who also accompanied us. I am suffering from an affliction common to many language learners. When people are talking I understand the gist of most of what is said … unless people are speaking directly to me, in which case I understand nothing at all!

People were all very friendly and welcoming. We received lots of blessings (if you hear the word “God” at the beginning of a sentence you know you can reply with “amen”!) and Simon and Benjy were able to see lots of animals (cows, goats, sheep, dogs …).

It was pleasant to be out in the early morning, and we needed to go out that early to escape the heat. When we finished just after 9, it was already starting to feel uncomfortably hot in the sun! I didn't envy the guys from church who we saw working on digging a foundation for the new church building!

I'm afraid I haven't taken many photos of the village or its people yet. I'd rather wait until I know people a bit better.

No comments: