Wednesday 9 September 2009

tooth-ee or not tooth-ee

“Severe toothache and dental abscesses are surprisingly common in those living overseas. […] Severe or recurrent toothache is a common reason for having to cut short a visit or assignment.”

So states the new edition of the “Traveller's Good Health Guide” by Ted Lankester (published by Interhealth). I can well believe it, and we deliberately had dental check-ups shortly before we left the UK. On Monday, however, after a week of constant toothache I finally got up enough courage to ring a dentist. The guide also advises asking around to find a trusted dentist and this one came highly recommended by other missionaries here. Her house (where she also has her surgery) isn't your typical Beninese dwelling – the waiting room is in a tower and the ceiling you stare at as she examines your mouth is ornately carved wood! She is very small, very sure of herself and put me at ease at once. Unfortunately, she also told me I have a huge hole in one of my teeth and need a filling urgently. So she's temporarily filled the hole – I am already in a lot less pain! - and I'm going back this afternoon to have the proper filling done.

Although it isn't much fun having a filling, at least afterwards we will be less worried about needing dental work done out here. It is always reassuring to know where you can go and who will be looking after you!

No comments: