Wednesday 2 September 2009

a new typical day

Our life has changed quite a lot since I last wrote about a typical day for us, so I thought I would describe the day we had today.

7am Quite untypically, Benjy has slept through the night, so at 7 he is very hungry and glad of a feed. Then while I'm showering Marc prepares breakfast and the boys play.
7.45am Breakfast. Rachel, who looks after the boys during our language lessons, arrives at 8 as her dad drops her off on his way to work. When we've finished eating Marc has his shower, I do the washing up and Rachel takes the boys. Simon falls over on the verandah and splits his lip, so I go and comfort him.
9am Benjy is already having his first nap of the day, and Simon is outside with Rachel. Our language helper, Abraham, arrives and greets me in Monkolé: “Irei ì sũ?” I reply, “Alàáfìai. Irei ì sũ yá?” We spend the morning revising yesterday's lesson, asking questions which came up while we were working on our language notes yesterday evening, and learning vocabulary to do with various daily activities. Simon, and Benjy when he wakes up, play outside with Rachel and our neighbour's home help's three children. At one point we can hear them singing together.
12pm Abraham leaves and Rachel's dad comes to pick her up. He is a tailor (and a taxi-moto driver) and has just finished a pair of trousers for Marc. I get on with cooking.
12.45pm Lunchtime. We eat a kind of Spanish omelette I've invented, and fresh banana-and-pineapple purée for pudding. While we're eating, our home help Esther, arrives. She eats then gets on with the washing.
2pm Afternoon nap. Neither of the boys get off to sleep very fast. Simon sings in his bed for quite some time.
3pm I leave Marc in charge of the sleeping boys and cross the compound to our neighbours' house where the missionary prayer meeting is being held this afternoon. I'm the one leading it (for the first time!). There are 10 of us there, and I share a kind of “Thought for the Day” before we pray for international events, for local events and for each other.
4.30pm I return home and Marc has a quick trip into town for light bulbs and envelopes. I make some bread.
6.30pm We have a light meal (toast, salad, cheese and fruit) and then it's bath- and bedtime for the boys.
8pm I make homemade granola and unfortunately burn the second batch as I get engrossed in writing emails.
9pm I write a blog post (this one!) and wonder whether once I've finished and attempted to post it I will have the time and energy to do some Monkolé revision … and I know I ought to!!

PS Yes, I have had confirmation that I passed the driving test … as did everyone else who turned up for it! Thank you to all who encouraged me!

1 comment:

Jose said...

Loved reading your blog Hilary, Judith was hear today and told me about all the news you post so sent me the link.. Simon and Ruth were in St Johns today, he is to be our new Youth Minister, so that should encourage more youth to St J's, he starts officially on next Sunday.
Congratulations on passing your driving test
Love Jose