Sunday 27 October 2013

sights and smells

It is my favourite season of the year again. I am sure I have already blogged about just how much I love harmattan, but I am ready to annonce it again! The dry season here begins at some point in October, and the harmattan wind starts blowing at some point in the next weeks (usually November). This year it is starting early. One of the things I love is fresh lemons from our tree:



I'm sorry you can't smell the fresh lemon fragrance as we zest or squeeze these little orbs of zingyness!

I love the "monotony" of dry season weather. I never get fed up with knowing that every day will be bright and sunny. In harmattan, evenings and nights are cool, and mornings are fresh. So when the temperature mounts in the afternoon, it's never oppressive as you know it won't last long.

If I have to admit to not liking anything about dry season, then it must be the dust (which gets everywhere, in gradually increasing quantities) and the dry skin on my hands and lips. But I can put up with them*! And with a baby in cloth nappies, I love knowing that any washing will dry during the day.

* Though I do tend to let out a few yelps when fresh lemon juice hits the tiny cracks in my fingers!!

No comments: