Saturday 16 July 2011

oops there goes my linguistic competence...

(Written on the 11th, but took a while to get posted!)

Ten days back in Benin and I'm feeling the changes. Obviously there is the material side – suddenly electricity, light and internet are no longer reliable friends, and I'm missing having a washing machine – but also the change of status. In Europe our main role was face-to-face communication with friends and churches about the ministry out here. In many ways that suits me very well – I love spending time with people, and in both English and French I feel confident expressing myself and explaining things. So I felt fulfilled and encouraged in that role.

Back here in the village, while it is good to be home, it is with some trepidation that I step back into the role of the person who doesn't understand everything and can't say all she wants to. I still feel on the outside here – everyone is friendly, but only with a handful of people do we have anything resembling a real friendship. This is partly our choice, in that we chose not to use French with people (with a couple of exceptions) to help us learn Monkolé. But it is really hard to build a friendship with another adult when you feel you talk like a child and can't show much of who you really are! We do need prayer that we wouldn't lose courage as we persevere with this.

Fortunately we have good friends among the missionaries and French-speaking Beninese in Parakou, and in our 3 days of vision and strategy planning for SIM Benin-Togo last week I retained the role I'd had in Europe, feeling I could participate freely and usefully in the discussions!

The pastor is taking his annual leave at the moment, so we have been settling back into life here, sorting out as many of our practical problems as possible, and easing back into using our Monkolé. While it is a little rusty, we don't feel we've really lost it. We'll be doing some revision sessions with the pastor before September, when I'll start on the translation work and Marc will begin his preparation for Dry Season Bible School. He will also begin home-schooling Simon in the mornings. I have been looking through resources I bought to help me with translation, and am getting quite excited about finally working with the team!

No comments: