Wednesday 8 July 2009

they don't make 'em like they used to!

Some generous missionaries with teenage sons made Simon's day a few weeks ago when they passed a whole load of toys on to him. His favourite are the tractors, but the rest of the farm and the Duplo make him very happy too.

These missionaries are currently living somewhere where they don't have mains electricity, so they said they had other things they don't use which we could have. These turned out to be an iron (and ironing board) and a food mixer. Both are Canadian, and so need to be used with an extremely heavy transformer, which scared me when it arrived by its weight and the random wires sticking out of it. But our handyman next-door neighbour put it all back together again, and I started to investigate the food mixer. I was amused to see that it had been bought in 1982 (!) but immediately won over by the enthusiastic description in the instruction-and-recipe book of all that it can do. It's a Vita-Mix Plus … which I had never heard of before, but an American I met yesterday said, “Wow – Vita-Mix are the best!”

So far I have puréed fruit, minced meat and mixed cake batter in it … with great success! And I am sure that Marc is right that if I bought a brand-new standard food mixer in Cotonou now it would probably last less time than this model will carry on working for.

I just have to remember to warn Simon before I use it, as it makes a big noise, and if it takes him by surprise he is not a happy bunny!

1 comment:

Ju said...

Lovely to hear your news, and lovely I can access it here in Tanzania. How did Marc get on with collecting the car? I was praying for you all. xx