Sunday 28 October 2007

sentimental parenty stuff

We’ve noticed – as have others – that Simon has changed a lot since being here. Of course, it isn’t all down to being here, it’s also the natural development he is going through as he gets older. For example, a couple of days ago I watched him make himself laugh for the first time. He had been laughing at other things for a long time, but after giving him his vitamins the other evening, I gave him the spoon, and after waving it about a bit, he tried to put it in my mouth. When that worked, he thought it was hilarious, and laughed a long, gurgling laugh.

He is also understanding our words and actions more and more. On Friday I arrived at the college nursery to feed him at midday, and when he saw me he smiled and started crawling towards me. Then he got sidetracked, crawled off to the right and started pulling toys from a shelf. So I said, “Ok, Simon, if you aren’t interested, I’ll go away again!” and started walking back towards the door. His little face crumpled, and he started to wail … I felt awful!! I really hadn’t thought he would understand!

There are two corners in our living room where he isn’t allowed to play. One has a pile of shopping bags in it (officially they live in the car, they just haven’t got themselves together and moved out there yet) and the other has the computer wires. Yesterday, Simon was crawling purposefully over towards the shopping bags, so I said, “Simon!” He stopped and looked up at me. “No!” He looked back at the bags, back at me, and I said, “No, Simon!” again. And he turned round and crawled back in the opposite direction. I’m not stupid enough to think that he will always be so obedient … but I am excited to see him understanding what I’m saying!


No comments: